May 9, 1924, Austin to Northampton, Massachusetts

Dear Helen,

What's the matter?!!! I haven't heard from you for over two weeks. Are you too busy to write – have you fallen for somebody – are you sick – haven't you any paper – are you so broke you can't buy stamps (that's the situation I was in a week or two ago) ? If you don't feel like taking the trouble to write, please make just one more effort and tell me so.

The interscholastic league representatives from EPHS were down here a week ago, and they sure didn't help my studying any – I got the whole sum of 25 on a chem quiz – on the basis of 100, too – and I haven't been able to get down to work yet. Now if you had taken me up on that bet when I first asked you to I wouldn't be in such straits now.

I did some wild dispipating when that bunch from El Paso was down here. Went to a dance and everythin' – and more than that I came out alive, but almost dead. Then, Sunday, Henry Moore and Ralph and I rented a Ford and went over to San Antonio, where they were spending the day. We found them at about 3 PM and then rode all over town. We got back at 3:15 AM. With about 2 hrs. sleep to our credit.

I hope you've been a good little girl, way up there in Boston. I'll be waiting to keep that first date with you just as soon as I can have it.

It's dinner time now and I guess I'd better mote along if I want anything to eat. I'm expecting a long, long letter from you to make up for the neglect.

Love,

Henry

P.S. I've just hocked my banjo to buy this envelope – farewell to musical achievement

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 15, 1928, Baltimore to El Paso

March 27, 1924, Austin to Brookline, Massachusetts

September 29, 1927, Amherst, Massachusetts, to El Paso